Friday, August 22, 2008

LASIK

Disclaimer – do not read if you are scared of surgeries!!!

So I finally got brave enough to trust my eyes to the spine-chilling procedure of the laser vision correction. To be specific, my surgery was called a PRK (photo refractive keratectomy) and it slightly differs from LASIK because there is no corneal cut-and-flap (instead, the doctor puts a metal ring and burns off the top part of the cornea with alcohol and removes it with a brush). The whole surgery on both eyes took total of 9 minutes!! Here’s what happened:
1)Before surgery I took a nerve-calming pill and waited for 45 minutes for it to work (it gave me a few yawns, but I was still awake and VERY scared)
2)A nurse walked me to the surgery room and I laid flat with my eyes directly under the laser (which looks like a huge metal torture machine with a blinking red spot)
3)Nurse put anesthetic drops in my eyes.
4)Doctor entered the room (I had hard times staying still on the table and not running away ahead of my screams at that point)
5)Nurse showed me the eye-opening tool (literally!!) – it looked like a small pair of tons with hooks for the eyes – yes, like a typical torture instrument)
6)The doctor ordered told me to stay still and put a sticky tape on my eye lids first, then open the eyes by pilling on the tape and sticking the eye-opener in.
7)Burnt the top layer of cornea.
8)Did 30-second laser.
9)Put anti-cancerous medication on the eye (30 seconds)
10)Put a contact lens (as a patch)
11)Removed the eye-opened (THANK GOD!)
12)Repeated with the other eye
To summarize, I am SO happy that I got this done! Yes, this was very scary to go through, but it is great. The only regret I have is not doing this about five years ago.

3 comments:

Your Penn Palz : said...

you are soooo brave, girl! i'm proud of you... don't know that i could ever do it, though!
you've gotta post pix soon, so we can all see you w/o glasses!
i'm still 'on hold' to getting my contacts... i finished my last pkg. soon after i found out i was PG, so i chose to hold off on getting new ones til after i had the baby. well, aly's 9 months old now and i still haven't gone back for the contacts, YET! maybe i'll have them by the holidays?!?!?!?! heehee
still waiting for ya'll to come up for a visit!!!!! XOXOXOXO

Your Penn Palz : said...

please become a 'follower' of my blog... you may do so, by 'clicking' on the link, "FOLLOW THIS BLOG", near the middle to bottom of my page. thank you! XO

ps - miss ya!!!

Your Penn Palz : said...

MISS YOU SO MUCH!!!!! CHATTED W/ STEVE YESTERDAY. GREAT TO HEAR ALL IS WELL. SORRY YOU'RE STRESSED W/ SCHOOL... SO PROUD OF YOU FOR DOING IT, THOUGH! LOVE YOU VERY MUCH... XO